Monday, July 16, 2012

Catching up on my blog: Hiking in the Peak District day 2

I am finally on Summer break and can get caught up on this blog. I feel like I have neglected this blog this year while I have been working. Long stressful days with a 2 hour commute doesn't lend me to be a good blogger. I have about three weeks or more of blogs to catch up on so here they go:

Hiking in the Peak District Day Two

The next day of our weekend in the Peak District we woke up later, cleaned up the cottage and went for a nice hike. Mel and Will had to leave earlier that day so Mel could catch a train to the East Coast for work. We drove about 10 minutes away to a little Church yard and started walking through some fields, just exploring with no plan of where we were going. I don't know if I have said this before but most farmer's fields/ paddocks have trails through them connecting one place to another. These are public paths and as long as you stay on the path and do not cause an problems. So many of our country walks are through people's land.


A sign along the way
(there were lambs just up the road, a bit of a sad sight for a vegetarian)


Most of us go over, but Burt decided it would be funnier to go through the dog's opening. 
(it was and we couldn't believe he actually fit)



Walking through the fields

Swinging arms

You can't really tell from here but their is a cave in the side of the cliff on the left. That was our ending point for the day, down and up through the valley floor.

The sun actually came out for a bit that day.

We would eventually get to that spot on the top of the cliff.


getting closer


For some reason we didn't take any pictures once we got down into the valley and on our way back up again. 

Inside the cave.


This was in June and it had been raining for over a month by this time (and as I write this it is still raining) so the inside of the cave was very slippery and muddy.  you practically had to climb it on your hands and knees.

me wondering where this hole goes and if I should venture back there on my own. I did and met some interesting people back there.


The views from the mouth of the cave.




Mel and Will had to turn around before we got to the cave so it was jus the four of us: 
Burt, Kate Kit and I.

The view from the top of the cliff.


It felt so nice to be breathing fresh air, sweating and being surrounded by green hills. I felt relaxed and giddy from it all. I kept wanting to sing and did a couple of times, the Hills are alive with the sound of music.........
I have said it before but I am a nature girl through and through.

A very zoomed in picture of  an English Stone barn.
(we love our camera)



On our way back to the church were we started.


I found my inner hippy again and started putting flowers in my hair.


We had a fantastic time and wanted to have a wonderful pub lunch on the way back home. We stopped here and ate our lunch looking over the fields at the horses playing. It was a perfect weekend!



I have just seen pictures from Kate's camera so I will add a post of them next.

No comments: