Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Rob Roy Glacier Trail


When we stayed in Wanaka, we wanted to see a Glacier and decided the Rob Roy Glacier Trail was the best idea for us. Rob Roy Glacier Trail in the lonely planet book is considered an easy to moderate trail, I think that may be a misprint. The trail was much harder than we thought. It started off with a 40 meter swing bridge over a rushing river. It was around a 2 hour hike switching back and forth up the mountain to the Glacier. Most of it followed a beautiful river and through a beautiful beech forest carpeted with ferns. It was absolutely worth the hard hike once we got up to the glacier. We brought our lunch, and halfway up we were pretty hungry, so we thoroughly enjoyed our lunch of pb&j sandwiches and chips at the foot of the glacier. The walk back down was like walking on clouds compared to the walk up the mountain.

Kit and I before we walked over the swing bridge. We had done some of these when we stayed at the Mount Aspiring Hut on Christmas break. This bridge was longer and the wind was so fierce it pushed the bridge all over the place. Cody danced across the bridge and Kit was fine also. Barb and I hard a really hard time crossing it. Right in the middle, I didn't think I was going to make it, I had to look ahead at Kit and just keep walking.

Barb and Dave Crossing the Bridge


The fern/ Beech Forest

Beautiful view of the rushing water

almost there

waterfalls


We're there!!!

The Glacier. It was hard to take a picture because it was so cloudy and it reflected back on the snow.


Cody and a waterfall


The Elams


Back at the Carpark!!

It was overall a beautiful hike! More pictures to come soon....

3 comments:

Workman Family said...

AMAZING!! It is so beautiful! There is NO WAY I could have stomached that bridge! You are a brave woman!!

Will said...

That looks awesome guys. I remember crossing a bridge like that when we lived in Vancouver. Scary stuff.

Cody said...

high chested bass on the bridge!