Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Scottish Whisky Experience


If you didn't know Kit loves Whisky. He loves bourbon, irish whisky, scotch, you name it,  he is usually on board. So we had to go to the Scottish Whisky Experience. Now I on the other hand are not such a huge fan of Whisky, but I took one for the team!


At the beginning of the tour, you rode in a half barrel theme park ride, through how you make Whisky. It was a bit cheesy and there was there was a ghost who would pop up and tell you about each part of making Whisky.
Kit snapped a pictured of him below.

Kit on the ride

me in the yeast fermentation area of our tour

After the cheesy ride, they take you in a room and tell you about the different types of Scotch. There are four different types depending on where they were made at in Scotland and they all taste different. This part was really interesting and they even had scratch and sniff stickers so you could smell what the scotch should smell like. You then got to pick an area that you thought you might enjoy a whisky from and taste it.
Then they took you into this room that was filled with bottles of Whisky. All of the walls looked like the picture below.

Some man loved to collect Whisky but never drank any of it. After he died, The Scottish Whisky Experience bought his collection. It was very impressive.

Kit was so excited.

My parents enjoyed their Whisky too.


Now me on the other hand, really really tried to enjoy my whisky. I tried different kinds through out the trip (taking the smallest sip possible) and I found one that I didn't mind so much. I have read in many books how Whisky makes you feel warm on the inside and is great for cold weather. 
(If you have ever read any Diana Gabaldon books you will know what I mean)

However, no matter what type of Whisky it was I made the same face and Kit was lucky to catch it below. It was also usually combined with a shaking of the head. LOL! 

A view of Edinburgh on a sunny day.


Scotland is a place I have wanted to visit for years, especially after reading Diana Gabaldon's  Outlander series. The first couple of books are based in Scotland.

Another Reason I have wanted to go to Edinburgh is because of this  cafe below


This is the cafe where another one of my favorite authors; JK Rowling wrote the first Harry Potter book!

After Kit and I went to visit the Elephant House, we came across a Pub called the Bobby's Greyfriars and  statute of a dog out front. So we stopped to read the plaque about him. 
This dog became well known in 19th Century Edinburgh for sitting at his owners grave for 14 years after his owner died until they day he died.
There is also now a head stone in the grave yard he sat at with his name on it. There was a pile of sticks   in front of it.

The Cemetery, Greyfriars Kirk yard, where he sat by his owners grave
(which is also suppose to be haunted) 


That night after dinner, we walked by the same cemetery with my parents. Right outside of it was a spooky full moon. So we took a stroll around there at night. We were disappointed because we didn't see any ghosts or dogs.


next post: the link between Dunedin, New Zealand and Edinburgh

No comments: