Friday, June 03, 2011

We're BACK!!!!

We are finally back after a very long hiatus. We are loving the UK and living in Leicester. We spent the first couple of days here in London, where we celebrated the royal wedding and Kit's 30th birthday. After spending two weeks in a studio apartment we moved into a wonderful house. We finally got internet at the house today so I can update this blog!

Kit is loving his job and I am still on the hunt for one. I have been applying to lots of schools and I plan to go visit some next week to see if they have any volunteer opportunities or teacher's aide positions for the rest of the school year. (they don't get out of school until the middle of July, but they have term breaks every 9 weeks). I am hoping that I will have an easier time getting a job here than in New Zealand.

Our first impressions of Leicester: biggest city we have ever lived in, (350,000) but compared to most cities in the UK, this one isn't that big. They are some really beautiful old buildings and some beautiful new and modern buildings. The shopping is fantastic, the parks are beautiful and the bus system is great. Driving on the other hand is a bit confusing and very crowded (granted I haven't driven yet only Kit. I did have my first drivers lesson this weekend but it was just in first and second gear around a parking lot. I don't know how to drive a stick shift). There are some really great pubs, and fantastic restaurants. A ton of vegetarian options which we are loving :) The people are very friendly but not as friendly as NZ. There is a big diversity of people here which always seems exciting to me.  Most people we understand when we are talking to them, but there is look Kit and I give each other when we both had no idea what that person said to us.

We love having friends already here and we are settling in well. The weather has been nice but not really warm. Today was the warmest day we've had and I have loved every minute of it (75).
Below are the pictures of our house which came furnished thank god!





 The front of the house. It is a semi-detached which is like a duplex in the states. Very nice neighborhood with a lot of children around. We are close to the supermarket and a really nice park.

Our favorite room in the house, the conservatory.


Kitchen


Where does this door go?? How big is it?

It is a very small door near our kitchen table which goes to the water pipes. I told Kit when we moved it that we must be in Harry Potter's world because our house elves have their own room :)

Living room, which the couches I don't like the color of. I am looking for slip covers for them.


The cutest little owl door stop we found at a shop. I had to have it

What's that you say, an upstairs! yes it is. 
(The is the first time Kit has ever lived in a two story house)
 

Bathroom with a tub and shower.





Extra bedroom which is a little plain right now but I have some great ideas.

Our bedroom


Backyard with a greenhouse! The green house needs some love which I plan on tackling tomorrow.

The lastly the back of the house.
We love our wee home and are so glad that it was available.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

very cute! i love it! especially the elf door. :) it actually made me think of coraline.

Cody said...

house looks amazing! can't wait to visit.

Workman Family said...

AWESOME!!!!!! It is SO cute! I think my guest room looks awesome. I don't know who 'coraline' is, Ash...but I am guessing it some harry potter thing. ?? I think it looks like Alice in Wonderland's door she had to fit through. MIIIIISS YOU!!

Sara Elizabeth said...

So great to see your new life. Your title on the blog reminds me of our aweful neighbors in Carbndale who named their baby boy Pip.
That greenhouse better be in full use, its too cool!
Much love,
Sara and Josh